Sunday 25 August 2013

One Last Painting for Summer



The artist’s wife, Evelyn, knitting on a daybed, 1934
1934
Gerald Gardiner (1902-59)
English
Oil on canvas
Private collection
Credit: © Liss Fine Art
Image No. LIS 425802








The light in and atmosphere of this painting makes me think of  late summer, be it morning or afternoon. I want that room in my house, with its cosy corner, simple furnishing and a daybed to relax on and knit. The dress and shoes are nice, too.

I don’t often have detailed information about the room in which a knitter is sitting but the listing for this painting on The Bridgeman Art Library (see link above) states the following:

“The setting is the artist’s home, Lower Nash End, Bisley in Gloucestershire,where the Gardiners moved in 1934, the year of this painting.”

I also like this painting as it reminds me of a favourite line of fabrics by Kaffe Fassett.* I have made several quilts from its different colourways, and a little workbag for knitting from two of them. Here it is with my Weeping Angels sock in progress.**






No comments: