Saturday 7 December 2013

Famous Knitters – Agnes Moorehead (One Day Late)




Agnes Moorehead (December 6, 1900 – April 30, 1974)

I cannot find an image of the sublime Agnes Morehead actually knitting but this piece about her in the Indiana Evening Gazette*, (8 April, 1968) is filled with information such as

“Her favorite magic wands are a pair of knitting needles…started knitting almost as early in life as she started acting…her mother (taught her) knitting.”

The article contains multiple references to her then famous role as Endora, the mother-witch in the 1960-70s’ television series, Bewitched, as well as mentioning her making  shawls, sweaters and argyle socks, knitting as she learned her lines and in between takes.

My first introduction to her was in Jane Eyre (1943), a film I seemed to see over and over again in my childhood. She was chilling and elegant, as so often, but my all time favourite performances of hers are in Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte (1964) and her solo performance in the famous Twilight Zone episode, The Invaders (1961.)



I couldn’t resist these photographs of her – picture perfect representations of the eras – love that hat!






No comments: